Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Poem Written in Candle Light


By Claudia Ricci



I dip the candle in ink.
I dip the ink in fire.
I fire a long thin feather.
I watch the yellow flame.
It flickers.  It flies.  It webs and 
it waxes and wicks.
It says spider. 
It says spider.
It says write her 
story exactly
right
right
here
HEAR
It says 
do KNOT
stay there
terrified
holding on to
the webbing 
Inside the net.
LET HER STORY 
emerge like a glittering diamond
A gem
Let the light of it fill the room.
Let the light of it fill the sky.
Let it shine the moon,
Let it dawn.
Inside you.
Lay lines.  Lay lines.
In wax as red as
Blood flowing
Down onto the page,
Stay present stay present
No tenses needed

I pick up the candle
my fingers shaking
the flame
melting the wax in my hand.
It drips a line of red wax on my page.
It dances
red on white
congealing
exactly like this line of words
appears
Here HEAR
The gem emerges in the
soft light of the candle
I keep writing writing.



I grow frightened by the red wax.
By the power of the words
Right here WRITE HEAR
The wax
congeals.
The diamond is glowing
on the page 
Her story
More.


EmoticonEmoticon